The ambisonic Format (*.amb) will give the best surround playback experience (compared to DTS and binaural) because:
- It can be played back on any number of speakers (with the right software/hardware combo)
- Many ambisonic recordings include height(*)
- There is no compression on the file
- It can be decoded into any speaker layout
Note: If you are new to Ambisonics, the fastest way to get experience Ambisonics is to use the DTS format
To play back Ambisonic files you will need a Software/Sound Card/Amplifier and speaker combination that allows you to output and amplify multiple channels of Audio. For sample set-ups please see this WIKI page.
Consult the Ambisonia WIKI for available software players.
* To find out if a file has height information, look at the file details just above the Google maps. If the Order field contains "3D" then height information exists, and can be experienced with a speaker array such as a cube layout